This list of resources is intended for employers and contains:
- Relevant tools employers can immediately access to help them better understand how to actively engage their employees around chronic weight management
- Specific guides, websites, suggestions, and best practices from organizations leading the way with comprehensive benefits including how to address stigma and bias, ERGs, and step by step guides
For Employers, Payors, & Leaders in Healthcare
Issued as a call to action, the report was prepared in consultation with a panel of leading obesity specialists as a roadmap for overcoming one of the difficult challenges affecting US adults now living with obesity
NEGBH Obesity, Diabetes, and Racial Health Equity: What EMPLOYERS Can Do
BIPOC employees are disproportionately affected by obesity and diabetes, and poor outcomes resulting from these diseases. You can help by ensuring that all of your employees have equitable access to high-quality treatment.
NEHI Policy Brief In this policy brief NEHI reviews recent developments in the prevention and treatment of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
ICER Report: On August 31, 2022, the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER) posted its evidence report assessing the comparative clinical effectiveness and value of medication options for the treatment of obesity. The report was reviewed at a virtual public meeting of the New England Comparative Effectiveness Public Advisory Council (NE CEPAC) on September 16, 2022. The final evidence report will be published on ICER's website on 10/20/2022.
Novo Nordisk WORKS™ is a non-branded website (www.novonordiskworks.com) that provides resources and information about the importance of chronic weight management and impacts of obesity, on market access stakeholders, and to encourage organizations to take action in providing a comprehensive approach to weight management.
NNI Obesity Employer Conference Handout: A guide to help navigate weight management and anti-obesity medication (AOM) coverage in your organization. Helpful tips for having conversations with your employees are included on pages 6-7.
OAC Addressing Obesity in the Workplace PDF: Recommendations on how employers can be part of the solution by reducing stigma and taking action (increase awareness, use people-first language, assess and advocate for appropriate treatment, etc…). Additionally, there are excellent resources focused on addressing weight bias on the Obesity Action Coalition website: https://www.obesityaction.org/action-through-advocacy/weight-bias/
OAC Weight Bias In the Workplace: An informational piece for employers provided by: the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) and the Rudd Center for Food Policy
Helpful information for your employees, members, or patients
TruthAboutWeight.com: is a website designed for employees/members/patients to learn more about the latest science behind weight loss and management and get answers to questions about how weight affects your health. Some sections that might be of interest to support your employees include:
- True Weight® Report – is a personalized report that uses details about one’s history and lifestyle to help to start a conversation with a health care provider. Link: Discussing Weight & Health with Your Health Care Provider | Truth About Weight®
- Take Your First Step Toward Weight Loss - This document can be used to explore a tailored weight-management plan with a health care provider. Download here: US19OB00061-My-Personal-Weight-Journey-Form.pdf (truthaboutweight.com)
- Weight: A matter of health Understanding obesity and the importance of making it a healthcare priority – Use this guide to learn about the causes and impacts of excess weight and how you can be part of the solution. Download here: Obesity Infographic_Updates 10.6 (3) (truthaboutweight.com)
Helpful information for EBCs & PBMs
PBM/EBC Downstream Toolkit:
A toolkit designed to support PBM and EBC downstream that consists of three parts: The Science of Obesity, The Economic Impact of Obesity on Your Organization, and the Management of Obesity for Appropriate Individuals Sample Questions and Answers. Note there is also a Housing Kit as this toolkit resembles The Weigh Forward Program, in abbreviated form.
Opportunities to raise Obesity awareness with employees
- ObesityWeek®: November 1-4, 2022 https://obesityweek.org/
- World Obesity Day: March 4th 2023 Homepage | World Obesity Day